Bringing in food for yourself

MPI Food Safety does not regulate small quantities of food imported for private use. The exclusion, eradication or effective management of risks posed by pests and diseases to the economy, environment and human health is managed by Biosecurity New Zealand.

Any food you bring into New Zealand should be declared to MPI Quarantine Service on arrival.

You should contact Biosecurity New Zealand (MPI) to check their requirements for importing foods for personal consumption. Biosecurity NZ is responsible for animal and plant quarantine requirements. You can check their requirements on their website at  What you must declare (External)